Ranked at the top of:
As seen on USA Today/ AP News (August 5, 2014)
What sets us apart:
- We are the sinus doctor for physicians. Dr. Takashima is the Program Director of the Otolaryngology (ENT) training program at Baylor College of Medicine and is the Director of the Sinus Center at BCM and trains ENT doctors on how to perform sinus surgery. Several ENT doctors in the Houston community learned sinus surgery at our center. We are a tertiary referral center and accept the most complex sinus surgery referrals from around the country and internationally.
- #1 ranked Hospital in Texas (Houston Methodist Hospital - Medical Center) in the world's largest medical center offering the most comprehensive sinus and skull base care in Houston
- #1 ranked Medical School, Baylor College of Medicine, in the state of Texas, #12 nationally
- #1 in ENT (Otolaryngology) residency training program in Texas and Faculty of one of the largest and top ranked ENT (Otolaryngology) training program in the country
- Leading medicine to improve patient care by being the first to:
- Bring balloon sinus dilatation to the Texas Med Center
- Use 3D endoscopy for sinus and skull base surgery in Houston
- Perform minimally invasive frontal sinus drill out surgery through the nose (old technique involved a large incision from ear to ear to get to the frontal sinus) in Houston
- Utilize 3D, 4D, and 5D technology of Plato's CAVE (Computer Augmented Virtual Environment) to improve diagnosis and treatment of sinus surgery and skull base surgery - Link to the USA Today/ AP video
- We have a dedicated team of sinus surgeons who have spent extra time learning, researching and training on advanced endoscopic surgical techniques way beyond what is required to be board certified in Otolaryngology (ENT).
- The Sinus Center at BCM is part of a multidisciplinary team consisting of expert faculty at BCM including Allergists, Immunologists, Radiologists, Neurosurgeons, Neurologists, Pulmonologists, Endocrinologists and Ophthalmologists.
- We are on the cutting edge, constantly researching and publishing on ways to improve sinus health.
- We help train all graduating ENT doctors as Dr. Mas Takashima writes the tests that all ENT doctors in the US have to take to become Board Certified in Otolaryngology (ENT).
- Dr. Mas Takashima is a journal reviewer for three of the top journals in Otolaryngology. The Laryngoscope, Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, and the International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology.
- Focused specialty in sinus and airway surgery - although we are ENT doctors, we no longer do any ears or other ENT procedures other than sinus or airway surgery
- Dr. Mas Takashima is one of the top doctors performing complex endoscopic skull base surgery in the state of Texas, performing 15-20 cases a month. This experience makes him a much safer sinus surgeon as he is frequently entering skull base spaces where a typical ENT doctor may be less experienced.
Treatment of Sinus Disease
At the Sinus Center at BCM (Houston, TX), patients with allergies and sinus disease are medically managed along with minimally invasive and computer-assisted surgical techniques if necessary. Our team of physicians have extensive training in the management of sinusitis (sinus infections), sinus disorders, and nasal/sinus/skull base tumors. In fact, our team of doctors have additional training in rhinology and sinus surgery beyond the necessary requirements to be a board certified Otolaryngologist (ENT) doctor. Our doctors who specialize in this subspecialty have focused their practice on the sinuses and structures associated with them. Before undergoing comprehensive management of your sinus problems, be sure you you have a dedicated team of physicians who has formal extensive training on sinonasal disorders.
The Sinus Center - Houston offers advanced medical and surgical care for patients with:
- Nasal polyposis
- Fungal sinusitis
- Nasal congestion
- Tumors of the nasal cavity and skull base
Led by Dr. Mas Takashima, the Sinus Center at BCM is part of the Bobby R. Alford Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Takashima and his group offer a multidisciplinary approach to patient care and often collaborate with other expert physician specialists at Baylor College of Medicine.
In addition to providing expert clinical and surgical care, we also have an active research program in clinical and basic science aspects of sinus disease.
Dr. Mas Takashima is an Associate Professor in the Bobby R. Alford Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine (BCM), and Associate Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery. He is the Director of the Sinus Center at BCM and is one of the most experienced surgeons for sinus disease, sinonasal tumors, and midline skull base tumors. Dr. Takashima is the doctor for sinus surgeons. As the Program Director for one of the largest training facility for ENT (Otolaryngology) doctors, he trains ENT doctors on how to become sinus surgeons. Utilizing his interests in technology, he has helped pioneer the utilization of several new techniques, such as 3D endoscopy and utilization of virtual reality, to help plan for and treat complex sinonasal/skull base tumors and disorders. In addition to his clinical expertise, Dr. Takashima also has a strong interest in education and thus serves as the Residency Program Director for the Bobby R. Alford Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. He is one of the founding board members of the Otolaryngology Program Director’s Organization (OPDO) and teaches other Program Directors on the national level. He has pioneered novel educational techniques and has published on various aspects of Head & Neck residency training.
After growing up in the Spring Branch area of Houston, he received his Bachelor of Arts degree in biochemistry from Rice University, he matriculated to Baylor College of Medicine where he received his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1996, followed by in internship in General Surgery, 1997, and a residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2002, both from BCM. Afterwards, he obtained advanced endoscopic sinus and skull base surgical training at the University of Adelaide in Adelaide, Australia. He also is a fellow of the American Association of Otolaryngic Allergy and is board certified both in Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery and Sleep Medicine. He has also been on faculty at the University of Colorado prior to returning back to Houston to join the faculty at BCM. He currently holds faculty appointments at BCM, CHI St. Lukes Med Center, Texas Children's Hospital, the Michael E Debakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and the Houston Methodist Hospital.
Among honors received by Dr. Takashima are the Doctor’s Choice Award (Top Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgeon voted by his peers) 2008, 2010-2013, Doctor’s Choice Award (Top Allergist) 2012-2013, The Best Doctors in America, 2009-2014 and the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation Honor Award, 2013.
Dr. Takashima has been featured on:
Dr. Takashima's Academic/Board Certifying Organizations: